Family of University of Texas Linebacker Jake Ehlinger Says He Died of Accidental Overdose

Jake Ehlinger, a former University of Texas linebacker, died in May by an accidental overdose of “what was believed to be Xanax laced with toxic drugs including deadly Fentanyl,” his family said in a statement obtained by ESPN.

Ehlinger — the younger brother of former Longhorns quarterback Sam Ehlinger, who the Colts drafted in April — was found unresponsive in an off-campus residence in Austin on May 6. He was 20.

“As our family continues to process Jake’s death, we felt it was important to share these details with the hope that Jake will not have died in vain,” the Ehlinger family said. “We pray that sharing Jake’s story will help shed light on this problem and prevent other families from also tragically losing a loved one.”

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: New York Post, Jenna Lemoncelli